Monday, March 21, 2011

Colonia, Uruguay



Last weekend, IFSA treated us to a trip to Colonia, Uruguay. We took a boat, more like a mini cruise ship, across the Rio de la Plata to Colonia. When we got there, we were bused to Mario's house, which is actually a bed and breakfast, in the countryside. ( Mario is the director of the IFSA program here). And wow, is his house nice and very picturesque. I want to stay there when I come back to Argentina or Uruguay. He has a bunch of lemon trees that he grows, so his property is pretty big. When we arrived, there was a very yummy lunch set out for us starving students, as well as dessert. Afterwards, we had a bunch of free time to swim in the pool, relax, or go swimming at the beach. (I always forget but beach is not ocean beach, its river beach).

In Colonia, we stayed at this tiny hostel, which was also really nice. Breakfast was provided in the morning and the beds were really comfy, actually better than my bed here at home. Colonia is a really small town but it is very touristy and there a lot of tourist from all over, including Japan, which I thought was funny. I don't have pictures right now, as I forgot my camera, but other people do, so as soon as people post them, I'll post them here.

In Colonia, the money used there is the Uruguayan peso but the argentine peso and the american dollar are also accepted there. the exchange rate was the argentine peso was horrible; 1 arg. peso = 4.5 uruguayan pesos, and for the u.s. dollar, $1=20 uruguayan pesos. A group of my friends and I went to a restaurant for lunch while we were there. There were 6 of us. When the bill came, we paid with Argentine pesos, U.S. dollars, and Uruguayan pesos. It was horribly confusing but lucky for us, our waitress was able to figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment