Sunday, March 13, 2011

Carne!

Buenos Aires is known for its high quality meats, and it is justifiably so. While my host mom doesn't make too much meat (i think there is some weird fixation with atun(tuna), i've ordered meat twice when dining out with friends. And their meat is soo good and cooked just perfect.


(the first time at El Tigre)

The first time I had a parilla (mixed grill) when when I was at El Tigre with my friends. On of the guys and I decided to split one,mainly because it would have been expensive to each get a single one. Our waitress assured us that there would be enough food for the both of us. Boy, was she right. The parilla came sizzling in on a mini grill set in the center of the table. Piled on the mini-grill was chicken, steak, chorizo (sausage), blood sausage, something we think was brain and the other was possibly liver (sweetmeats?), ribs, more steak, and i think, flank steak ( the really thin one that could be used in a pulled pork sandwich but cow). Everyone's eyes in the group just bulged. I thought; "dang, what did we just get ourselves into?"



I ended up really enjoying it, despite the massive amount of carne just sitting there. It was enough to turn someone vegetarian on the spot. I even tried a bit of the blood sausage. the texture was really smooth and it tasted kind of savory, like someone stuck some cinnamon and christmas spices in it. I did NOT touch the sweetmeats.

Last night we went to a restaurant and i split some steaks with some friends. They were really good; the meat was tender and juicy although it was a little rare for me. Some of the pieces were more well done but it didn't taste as good. No matter what people say, los portenos can cook some meat!
(I'm not sure if it is pricey or not. the first time when I split it, i paid 55ish pesos. The second time was about the same. so not bad, in my opinion.

1 comment:

  1. haha that would turn me vegetarian...oh wait. :) great post! glad you're enjoying the food.

    ReplyDelete