Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Classes? Education? What's that?

As some of my readers have pointed out, ahem mom, they want the scoop on what classes I am taking, where, when, etc. Basically they want to know if I am even going to class... he he rest assured I am going to classes and not spending all my time in cafes drinking coffee or dancing in clubs at all hours of the night (which hasn't happened yet). Anyways, IFSA gave us the choice to take classes at 4 universities; The Pontificia Universidad Católica Argentina (UCA), Universidad de Buenos Aires (UBA), Universidad del Salvador (USAL) and Universidad Torcuato di Tella (Di Tella or UTD). All except UBA are private universities. UCA is catholic based, USAl is jesuit based, and Di Tella just had loads of money to found a school.

I tried out classes at UBA, UCA and USAL. I decided not to take classes at UBA because it was hard for me to understand the professors because a/ my spanish isn't that good and theirs is too good and b. the windows in the classrooms were open, letting in the noise of all the busses and trucks rumbling by, which obscured the prof's voice... Long story short, no classes at UBA for me.

I am taking 3 classes at UCA and 1 class at USAL. The classes at UCA are Art, Architecture and Identity in Latin America, Social and Political Processes in South America: Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, and Religion and the State. All of the classes are taught in Spanish and most of the readings are in Spanish as well. These classes are a little different from the regular UCA classes in that the teachers talk a little slower and phrase things a little differently so it will be understood. Most of the students in my UCA classes are foreign students as well. I have people from Denmark, Germany, the U.S., and Columbia, among other countries, in my classes. My favorite class at UCA would be the Art, Architecture and Identity class. I mean, who doesn't like architecture?

My one class at USAL, I only decided on, definitively, last night more or less. It is a History of Argentina but from a political perspective. I was deciding whether to take this class, which meets at night on mondays and the same class, but it meets today at 11. (the Prof is the same prof for both of the classes). The other difference is that the monday class is at a higher level, which means it requires more background info than the one today, which is for beginners. But I like the monday night class because the material is more interesting.

My last class is a required IFSA castellano class, which is taught by IFSA personnel. Oh all classes are once a week but they usually last about 2-3 hours, which makes up for the whole once-a-week-issue. And there is a lot of reading.

When you add that all up, it is 15 credits, which is the exact amount I need to make Scripps happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment