Sunday, July 4, 2010

Museum day!

So yesterday, since it was hot and I didn't want to go to the mall and spend money, I decided to go to some of the many interesting and free museums in DC. (they even have a textile museum which is on my list of museums to see.) So the first museum I went to was the National Gallery of Art, which is huge!

The National Gallery of Art was created in 1937 for the people of the United States of America by a joint resolution of Congress, accepting the gift of financier and art collector Andrew W. Mellon. During the 1920s, Mr. Mellon began collecting with the intention of forming a gallery of art for the nation in Washington. In 1937, the year of his death, he promised his collection to the United States. Funds for the construction of the West Building were provided by The A. W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust. On March 17, 1941, President Franklin D. Roosevelt accepted the completed building and the collections on behalf of the people of the United States of America.

It has a lot of big name artists along with smaller/less recognized ones, but no matter the name recognition, all deserve to be there.

The first exhibit was the Chester Dale Exhibit "From Impressionism to Modernism."





This one is called Odalisque as well I believe. I'm learning how to take pictures at a museum with the light/angle and all, so please excuse the bright light spot intruding in this pic and if in others.


I liked this one because its a fairly normal painting till you see that the artist has included the underarm hair. I know that everyone has it but usually, the artist does not include things like that unless it is in his style or it is that type of painting/art school. It just took me a moment to register, and when it did, I was like oh!




BTW, the plaques for each photo detailing the basic info will be found below each picture!



No comments:

Post a Comment