Sunday, February 27, 2011

Guia- T



The Guia-T is my best friend in Buenos Aires. The Guia-T is a map of the system buses, the subway and a grid of streets in the Capital. This is very important, especially when I'm lost. It's very nice that people who design the city were homesick and created the city in an european manner, with broad avenues and streets organized in grids. Now, when I'm lost, I just walk a few blocks in a direction, a bit in another direction, and usually, I find my way. But I get lost a lot because I can not find the correct location of the bus stop. To go in one direction, you go to the bus stop on one side of the street, and to go back, you use the other. But I get confused about which side I need to be on, as well as where the actual bus stops are, which leads to a lot of aimless wandering around until luck strikes. ( Even with my guide, I still get lost and wander.)

But this is not all that bad, because then I discover different ways to get home, different buses that I can take. Although I live on Ambrosetti, it intersects with Avenue Rivadavia. There are a couple of big streets which run from the one side of the capital to the other more or less. When going somewhere, it is imperative to know which cross street you want. For example, if I am asking directions, I can't just say "I want to go to Ambrosetti." It is invariable that I will be asked; "And what cross-street?" When I'm lost, I usually ask police or the bus drivers, who are very knowledgeable. I end up finding my way and having an adventure at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment