Saturday, February 26, 2011

First Post In BA!!

I know its already been a week here in Buenos Aires but I have been very busy with orientation and getting my luggage from the airport, which is a huge hassle!

The basics:

I live at 242 Ambrosetti, which is the neighborhood of Caballito. Caballito is a solid middle class neighborhood; in fact it is used as the barometer of public opinion on a host of issues. It is an apartment on the 3rd floor and my host mom is really nice. She is a single grandma, so more like a host grandmother, and is patient with my horrible spanish. And she is a good cook. ;)

2. I have an elevator in my apartment. I think all multi-story apartments have one; they're not all fancy or anything but its still kind of cool.

3. People drive CRAZY here! I think Argentina has one of the highest automobile fatalities in Latin America...the taxis and cars are always in competition with the buses (called colectivos) and the colectivos fight with each other too...needless to say, i am very glad i'm not the one driving.

4. There is a Subte here which I use sometimes, and some of the trains are actually old pullman cars with wood paneling, lights, mirrors, and decorated poles to hold on to. I wish I could take a picture but that would not be the best idea on the Subte. I would create a huge "rob me now" sign on my face. lol.

5. The accent here, called Rio Platense, ( The people here are called PorteƱos) is unique in the fact that it is commonly identified by its use of the pronoun ‘vos’ instead of ‘tu’ or ‘usted’ as well as a shh or a soft jj sound when pronouncing ll or y (eg. pollo-posho, yerba-sherba). This has made Castellano even harder for me to understand, although now I can understand a lot better. A huge shout-out to Montessori and its crappy education system for not teaching me the Vos form and for not practicing my speaking and listening skills! What a waste of my time.

6. There will be pictures, I have them now, but the blog editor won't let me upload my pics so this will have to do for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment