Sunday, February 27, 2011

A fortuitous Meeting

This is not in chronological order at all, but I was at the airport, just having picked up my bags from the Delta Office. I was really excited because before that, I was facing the prospect of no clothes at all. (the few that I had were dirty). I was waiting for a bus to take me back to the bus station, when I met this lady who was also waiting for the bus. She was a teacher with a masters coming from visiting a friend in Boston, but she lives in a small town in Patagonia in the South, if I remember correctly. She helped me figure out where to meet the bus, and although I had found the place after all, it was still nice to have it confirmed. We practiced speaking, I in Castellano and her in English, about living in Buenos Aires and a variety of topics. She said that because she was a teacher, she has met many students like me, which meant that i must have looked obvious. :(

Although our conversation degraded into English after a while, we talked about politics, since I am a poli major and she happens to know a lot about politics and it was a really fascinating conversation. She said that she too used to be an idealist when she was younger, but now is closer to a pessimistic. She even recommended that I read this book called the Open Veins of Latin America by Eduardo Galleano, an alternate history of Latin America, which I am predisposed to believe is the real deal. After all, who believes everything that comes out of Uncle Sam's mouth? Not me, for sure.



Unfortunately I have forgotten her name, but I won't forget her face. I hope you got home safely from the airport, my friend from the bus. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment